Sunday, July 02, 2006

Over the Hedge

I have not had the opportunity to see Over the Hedge this summer, but another blogger has. In the film, she found a valuable lesson on the meaning of family beyond blood. It recalls the story from the gospel: "Jesus said, 'Who are my mother and my brothers?' Looking around at the disciples seating in the circle with him, he said, 'Right here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of God is my true brother or sister or mother." (Mark 3:33-35).

This is her review of Over the Hedge, which I have reprinted here:

The theme of friendship in films

If you are looking for an inspiring movie about friendship, I would recommend viewing "Over the Hedge." I think it gives a good portrayal of friends and family not having to neccessarily be blood-related, through following a group of animals, who want to know what big adventure lies on the other side of this hedge. The movie has a lot of truth to it about humans and food, as well.

In my opinion, a lot of society revolves around food. When I am riding in the car, I see a McDonalds on almost every corner, and fast food is anything but healthy for the most part.

Anyways, there is another part to the plot. One of the main characters is a raccoon, and he has to pay back this bear with food. So, he comes upon a group of animals, and pretends to be their best friend, when really he wants to protect himself. I thought the characters were just hilarious.

I have sometimes felt like one of these animals myself. I want to know what is in this big world of ours, and I find myself feeling "small."I felt the end of the film was what really puts things in perspective for me.

Here was this lonely raccoon, who had made good with a bear, not realizing that he already had the best gift in the world, right in front of him. He just wasn't looking hard enough. These animals were a family all their own, and if only the raccoon had asked, then he would not have had to be such a "con" and they would have worked together as a team to re-pay the bear.

There was one line that really stood out and that was when the turtle asked the raccoon, if he would like to be a part of their family? I find that to be just so inspiring, because so often people just don't know where to find true friendship or love within a family.

I am thankful for movies like this, that just make me grateful for the friendships and family I have. I know what it is like to be the "outcast" and I hope everyone finds someone who will reach out and encourage them.

No comments: